Moving on up


Don’t categorize me for the colour of my skin,
            The way I pronounce my words,
                        Or the gender that I am.
Don’t judge me by the curve of my hip,
            The shade of my complexion,
                        Or the way I wear my hair.
Don’t make me a stereotype based on my age,
            My ethnicity, my language, or my background.
Don’t put me in a box simply because I belong to a certain religion,
            Because I’m affiliated with certain colours,
                        Or because you see me in a certain vehicle.
Don’t determine my character from a mere glimpse of what I did today,
            That does not define who I am.
Don’t justify your xenophobia because frankly,
            I am intrigued by you also.
Don’t disrespect my roots
            Simply because they are planted far from yours.
Don’t stand on your box looking down on people;
            Those very people will destroy your sacred box.
What you might do is rise above to a higher level,
            What you should do is grab hold of some people as you climb up,
                        What we could all do is break down these barriers…
People, it’s time to move on up!

~Inspired by The Diversity of Women; Recited for Miss International 2010 at Indiana State University

Comments

  1. I am greatly inspired by your writing style. Very inspirational. I enjoyed this poem. Well done Fadzi

    Rabison Shumba

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts